[ntp:questions] NTP does not reply to IP addresses that start with 69

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Apr 2 23:48:55 UTC 2008

Ronan,

You are right. The oldest version I have here is 4.1.2 circa July 2003
and the port check had been removed. Also, my warning to not change
ntp_proto.c without my permission was not in that version. So, nobody
did anything wrong, just misguided. I just don't want somthing to leave
here not in spec, and that port check has been illegal since 1992.

The current NTPv4 ntent is that source port 123 is required only for
symmetric modes. Previously it was required for all modes.

Dave