[ntp:questions] Time reset

Andy Helten andy.helten at dot21rts.com
Fri Apr 4 04:20:30 UTC 2008

Hal Murray wrote:
>>> That certainly sounds like a bug to me.
>>>

>> Me too, but disabling time step is a tinker and tinkers are generally
>> use at your own risk.  Besides, after much testing, I'm fairly certain
>> the problem is indeed with the kernel -- especially considering I did
>> not have this problem on an older kernel.
>>

> What kernel version worked correctly?  What version doesn't?

Does _not_ work on RedHawk 4.2, linux 2.6.18.8:
Linux sbc1 2.6.18.8-RedHawk-4.2-trace #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 29 12:44:24

Does work on RedHat EL4, linux 2.6.9-5:
Linux ntp1 2.6.9-5.EL #1 Wed Jan 5 19:22:18 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Note that RedHawk is based on RedHat EL4 Update 4 (in other words, you
first install EL4 U4 and then install a small RedHawk upgrade).

Also note that this is not a new problem (OK, it's not that old either...):

https://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2008-March/017722.html

We plan to upgrade to the latest version of RedHawk.  I'm not sure what
kernel version is in that release, but I do know it is based on RedHat EL5.

Andy