[ntp:questions] Time reset

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Apr 4 20:26:43 UTC 2008

>As I've stated before, I don't believe the oscillator is really this
>unstable, but I could be wrong.  After all, my CPU measurements varied
>much more than yours, especially from one run to the next.  However, I'm
>still open to the possibility that linux's approach to speed measurement
>is less than perfect (at least for my version of linux).  These
>measurements were on a core 2 duo (2 processors) running RedHawk linux
>2.6.18.8.  Hal, can you tell me which version of linux resulted in your
>list of speed measurements?

Your crystal is probably fine.

At one point, I hacked my kernel to call the calibration routine
several times and printout the answer.  A batch of answers from
the same time (and hopefully same temperature) had the same sort
of scatter.

I'm running 2.6.23 wih a few local hacks.  2.6.19 has similar problems.