[ntp:questions] Linux 11-minute mode (RTC update)

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Sun Apr 6 16:48:47 UTC 2008

 On Saturday, April 5, 2008 at 18:27:37 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> Serge Bets <serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid> writes:
>> Depending on the mode of operation, hwclock consumes either much
>> more, or enormously more cycles.
> By enourmously more you mean 100 rather than 10 cycles?

I don't have the exact timings at hand, but it's yet more. The
eleven-minutes write takes some tens of microseconds; normal hwclock
some tens of milliseconds; hwclock --nointerrupt some plain seconds.

> The rate of the rtc is important when the machine is off (cold)

Again, what you say is true in the general case. Not at all, or less, in
the OP case (24/7 servers rarely and shortly off).

> one of my machines has an rtc clock that varies from 0PPM to 100PPM
> with a few degree temp change-- I think the rtc may be dying.

Aouch! Indeed totally out of bounds.

Serge.