[ntp:questions] NTP does not reply to IP addresses that start with 69

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Apr 7 13:20:43 UTC 2008

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Danny,
>
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>> Ronan Flood wrote:

>>> "The code is out there."
>>>
>> That doesn't matter. We only support the current current unless there's
>> a paid contract to maintain some other version. Dave was concerned about
>> something that he wants to ensure control of but that's in the recent
>> versions.
>
> I don't think I've read a request where this should be fixed in an older
> version.
>
> The problem in this NG seems to be that some insiders seem to assume all
> users are running a very recent version of NTP, and I'm pretty sure this is
> not the case.
>
> I think most users run the version which comes with their OS or
> distribution, and stuck with it unless they stumble across a bug or
> limitation, in which case it's normally sufficient to point them to the
> latest version.
>
> Martin

I understand all this. However, with such an old version it's almost
impossible to figure out what's wrong. In most cases where something
used to work and is no longer working, it's environmental changes or
configuration changes. Someone who says that 69/8 addresses don't work
must have a configuration/environmental issue rather than a code issue
but without finding the old source code, searching, building and
deploying it, how is anyone going to know what's wrong?

Danny