[ntp:questions] NTP does not reply to IP addresses that start with 69

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 7 14:11:31 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>
>>Danny,
>>
>>Danny Mayer wrote:

>>>That doesn't matter. We only support the current current unless there's
>>>a paid contract to maintain some other version. Dave was concerned about
>>>something that he wants to ensure control of but that's in the recent
>>>versions.
>>
>>I don't think I've read a request where this should be fixed in an older
>>version.
>>
>>The problem in this NG seems to be that some insiders seem to assume all
>>users are running a very recent version of NTP, and I'm pretty sure this is
>>not the case.
>>
>>I think most users run the version which comes with their OS or
>>distribution, and stuck with it unless they stumble across a bug or
>>limitation, in which case it's normally sufficient to point them to the
>>latest version.
>>
>>Martin
>

> I understand all this. However, with such an old version it's almost
> impossible to figure out what's wrong. In most cases where something
> used to work and is no longer working, it's environmental changes or
> configuration changes. Someone who says that 69/8 addresses don't work
> must have a configuration/environmental issue rather than a code issue
> but without finding the old source code, searching, building and
> deploying it, how is anyone going to know what's wrong?
>
> Danny

"Upgrade to the latest version" is the usual and, IMHO, proper response
to problems in earlier versions.  If the problem is truly a bug in a
prior version, perhaps he can PAY for "prior version support"!

If the bug is found to exist in the current version, it may be possible
to "back port"  the fix to one or more earlier versions  with very
little effort.

I don't recall the details of the original complaint but I think the
first thing the OP should do is to *ping* some known valid address in
69/8.  If that works, the problem may be in ntpd.  The problem might
also be due to a firewall or router blocking port 123 or perhaps even
the entire 69/8 net!