[ntp:questions] Setting up a NTP Time Server

Sullivan, George E. GEORGE.E.SULLIVAN at saic.com
Mon Apr 7 13:33:29 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Can someone point me to a good document that
shows how to setup a Time Server?  I have an
isolated network that cannot get to the Internet
to sync time.  I have Solaris 8,9,10 and Red Hat Linux
Advanced Server 4 servers as potential time server
candidates.

I've never setup a time server so please be gentle
with my ignorance on this issue.  :)

In the past I was just cron'ing the ntpdate command
to query a Windows 2003 server.  I kept this Win Server's
time up-to-date weekly and manually by visually checking the
time on the Naval Observatory Atomic Clock.

This Win Server option is no longer an option thus my
need for the Unix/Linux replacement.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

George