[ntp:questions] 3 Questions about setting up NTP

unix2266 unix2266 at charter.net
Tue Apr 8 03:15:43 UTC 2008

Folks;
 I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network. I have one Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server
 My 3 questions are:

 1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts" file on the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux server point to the NTP server?

 2. After pointing the Linux server to the NTP server, do i need to reboot the Linux server or restart any daemon on the Linux server? in other words, what do i need to do to make sure the changes i made in the "/etc/hosts" took affect?

 3. Is there a way to test the NTP server to make sure it interact with the Linux server & will work fine if i have a timing issue on the Linux server? I want to test it so if something happens for real i don't look like a dummy

 Thanks Folks in advance

Thanks;
Moe