[ntp:questions] 3 Questions about setting up NTP

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 9 00:39:47 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
> unix2266 at charter.net (unix2266) writes:
>
>> Folks;
>> I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network. I
>> have  one Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server
>> My 3 questions are:
>>
>> 1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts"
>> file  on the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux server
>> point to the NTP server?
>
> Yup. If your ntp server was in some dns server, you did not even have to do
> that.

You should not be touching etc/hosts for this purpose. If you want to
use a specific IP address for a server you can do that in the ntp.conf
file. If you have a DNS server you can put it in there and specify the
FQDN on the server line but you shouldn't be messing with /etc/hosts.
That's a long obsolete file and it really should be empty under normal
circumstances.

Danny