[ntp:questions] 3 Questions about setting up NTP

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:41:18 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 8:58 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> /etc/hosts is a perfectly OK thing to use.  It's not the only tool for
> the job and in most circumstances it's not the best tool but it works!
>
> For example, I have, I think, eleven computers in the house.  I'll be
> damned if I'll take off my shoes just to count the computers! I have an
> RFC-1918 private network.  I have not gone to the trouble of setting up
> a DNS server for my home.  Those of my computers that need to talk to
> the others have hosts files!  All have DNS resolvers and use my ISP's

You don't need even need to set up your own DNS, there are lots of
them available for free.
Example: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/.
Much more maintainable that enditing a bunch of hosts files by hand.

And of course setting up your own local dyanmic DNS takes minutes on a
Windows Server using Microsoft DNS, and minutes with BIND on Linux,
Windows, Solaris, whetever. The default packages on most Linux systems
are set up as forwarders, so all you need to do is add your own zone
info.