[ntp:questions] 3 Questions about setting up NTP

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Apr 10 14:27:33 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Apr 8, 8:58 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> /etc/hosts is a perfectly OK thing to use.  It's not the only tool for
>> the job and in most circumstances it's not the best tool but it works!
>>
>> For example, I have, I think, eleven computers in the house.  I'll be
>> damned if I'll take off my shoes just to count the computers! I have an
>> RFC-1918 private network.  I have not gone to the trouble of setting up
>> a DNS server for my home.  Those of my computers that need to talk to
>> the others have hosts files!  All have DNS resolvers and use my ISP's
>
> You don't need even need to set up your own DNS, there are lots of
> them available for free.
> Example: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/.
> Much more maintainable that enditing a bunch of hosts files by hand.
>
> And of course setting up your own local dyanmic DNS takes minutes on a
> Windows Server using Microsoft DNS, and minutes with BIND on Linux,
> Windows, Solaris, whetever. The default packages on most Linux systems
> are set up as forwarders, so all you need to do is add your own zone
> info.

This really belongs on the BIND users mailing list rather than here.
However, I would like to point out that if the default packages are set
up as forwarders it's been packaged badly. Forwarders should only be
used if absolutely necessary. There's no benefit to using forwarders
under normal circumstances.

Danny