[ntp:questions] 3 Questions about setting up NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 10 15:31:33 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Apr 8, 8:58 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> /etc/hosts is a perfectly OK thing to use.  It's not the only tool for
>> the job and in most circumstances it's not the best tool but it works!
>>
>> For example, I have, I think, eleven computers in the house.  I'll be
>> damned if I'll take off my shoes just to count the computers! I have an
>> RFC-1918 private network.  I have not gone to the trouble of setting up
>> a DNS server for my home.  Those of my computers that need to talk to
>> the others have hosts files!  All have DNS resolvers and use my ISP's
>
> You don't need even need to set up your own DNS, there are lots of
> them available for free.
> Example: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/.
> Much more maintainable that enditing a bunch of hosts files by hand.

It's all the same hosts file.  Edit ONE copy and distribute it.  NIS
does the job on my Unix boxes.  Since I seldom have reason to add a new
computer, maintenance is not a big issue.

I was introduced to the internet at a time when DNS was a revolutionary
idea rather than a standard.  I can appreciate the advantages of DNS but
they don't apply in my particular case.