[ntp:questions] Time slew doesn't seem to work

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Apr 10 19:55:34 UTC 2008

jkvbe wrote:

> I've started ntpd with the -x option and defined at run-time (using ntpdc) 3

Are you sure that you are using an unmodified recent version.  I seem to
remember that even -x will step if the offset is more than 500ms.  If
not you should address the question to SUSE.

There isn't enough time for the clock to slew 2000ms in 15 minutes.

> servers. The client machine has an offset of +/- 2s with the ntp servers.
> In the NTP log file I find the following statements (extracted out of a
> total of 98):

> We use Suse SLES10 (kernel version: 2.6.16).

Even if this in unmodified code, which version is it?