[ntp:questions] Problem with time synchronisaton

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sat Apr 12 15:06:43 UTC 2008

On 2008-04-12, David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> tony.carter at dpi.nsw.gov.au wrote:
>
>> I have ntpd installed (ntpq 4.2.2p1 at 1.1570-o Mon Jun 4 15:13:06 UTC
>> 2007
>
> That is not a standard version number.

Really? On my system running 4.2.5p54 built from sources downloaded from
www.ntp.org I see:

$ ntpq -c"rv 0 version"
assID=0 status=0654 leap_none, sync_ntp, 5 events, event_peer/strat_chg,
version="ntpd 4.2.5p54 at 1.1533-o Fri Jun 22 14:26:20 UTC 2007 (2)"

> Who allocated the "@1.1570-o" part of the version number?

ntp.org

> You may be better off getting support from them.

I believe he's in the right place.

>> (1) and running but the time on the ntp host does not appear to be
>> synching with the nominated external time references.  Any assistance much
>> appreciated.
>
> That's because no (valid) replies have been received from any of them.
> The two common causes of this are over-aggressive restrict lines and
> firewalls.
>
> I think your restrict lines may be OK,

They are.

> but I'd suggest confirming that it works without any.

It won't.

> Using pool servers limits your ability to use restrict and the
> defaults must permit your client to use any times it receives.

They do.

> Another possibility is that they have restrict kod set on the servers,
> and you are using multiple clients and NAT, in a way that causes the
> rate limits to be exceeded.

If that were the case you would see .KOD. in the ntpq peers billboard.

> People often overlook the Linux iptables firewall.

Port 123/UDP must be open to receive packets from the remote time
servers.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>