[ntp:questions] Problem with time synchronisaton

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sun Apr 13 09:51:20 UTC 2008

"Hal Murray" <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote in message
news:yeadnZdIFojuyZzVnZ2dnUVZ_vninZ2d at megapath.net...

>> The problem here is that the distribution does not contain a decent
>> assortment of example configuration files for common configurations.
>> So the OS distributors/aggregators/vendors each cobble together their
>> own one size fits all configuration file.

I suspect they would do that anyway. Because they usually want one size
to fit all.

> But does a local refclock make sense in a typical setup?

Given the above, yes. It doesn't actually hurt a client (if a server
is available), and an isolated server needs it.

Differentiating between leaf node, dependent server, and isolated
server is too hard for some. Especially since the difference is
only in the configuration, and a dependent server, while it could
use the Pool, would often need manual configuration. And I'm not
even talking about broadcast/multicast.

The logical end result is a distribution with three or four Pool
servers and a local clock. It falls down with multiple installations
in an isolated network, but works everywhere else. It may not be
optimal, but it's the best you can do under a wide set of
circumstances.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink