[ntp:questions] Linux 11-minute mode (RTC update)

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Tue Apr 15 04:57:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Serge Bets wrote:

> The idea was about the RTC_SET flag (bit #7 of register B). It suspends
> clock updates, without any effect on the oscillator nor PIE. I was
> hoping it would delay next updates by as long as it was asserted. But
> no: the next update is either skipped, or happens at the usual time.

 This bit does not affect the countdown chain, so it does not let you
modify the time stored with a subsecond resolution, which is required
here.  In other words the next update after this bit has been cleared will
happen at the very same moment one would if the bit was not set in the
first place.

  Maciej