[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 14:39:51 UTC 2008

maxime louvel wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-04-22, maxime louvel <m.louvel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My goal is to achieve a synchronisation between the nodes (not
>>> with the public NTP server) within 50 usec.
>> You may want to explore other synchronization options such as IRIG,
>> distributed PPS, or a distributed 10MHz clock.
>

> Thanks I'm gonna look at some other synchronisation solution.
>

>>> I don't care if the synchronisation to the public NTP is accurate
>>> around half a second.
>> You're displaying a common misconception about NTP.
>>
>> The goal of NTP is not explictly to synchronize clocks to "the one
>> true time". Rather, NTP synchronizes clocks to a common time base. A
>> "better" time base, and a "better" distribution method, allows tighter
>> synchronization between nodes.
>>
>> It so happens that UTC (via GPS or HF Radio or UDP) is a ubiquitous,
>> stable, and relatively inexpensive time base. A side effect of using UTC
>> as your time base is that your clocks are synchronized to the correct
>> time.
>

> Sorry I haven't express myself correctly. What I meant is that I want an
> accuracy of 50 usec within my subnet and I want my whole subnet to be
> synchronised to UTC with an accuracy of 1 second or less if possible.

That's going to be very difficult to do!  Getting the whole herd to the
point where the difference between any two nodes is less than 50 usec is
damned near impossible using NTP on a LAN.  You might want to consider
using a Pulse Per Second (PPS) signal delivered to each node, with NTP
used only to timestamp the rising edge.  If you compensate for cable
delays you can probably get to within 50-100 usec.