[ntp:questions] Problem monitoring NTP synchronization status

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 22 21:31:47 UTC 2008

eespejel at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there. I did just set up a Linux box to time synchronize to a Cisco
> router. I would like to have a way to know whenever the Linux box
> stops synchronizing (because of any network connecticity issue, for
> instance). any ideas?

Poll it with an NTP client and check the stratum.  Use ntpq to check the
stratum.  If it is using the kernel time discipline, monitor the kernel
estimate of error (and possibly the state of the kernel discipline).

Note that a lost server doesn't mean the time is wrong, as it will coast
along with the last known frequency correction.