[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 23 11:42:00 UTC 2008

maxime louvel wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I am actually using 4 public NTP server, which whom my node-1
> synchronises to.
> Then node-1 broadcasts the time to all the other nodes in the subnet.

If you are using broadcast mode then you have two additional issues that
you need to deal with:

1) authentication is required by default
2) you are not measuring the delay for every packet

With autokey, the delay gets measured during the autokey dance which
happens in client/server mode and then it switches to broadcast when it
completes. You cannot measure the delay in broadcast mode since the
server sends out the packets and the client just receives them.
Broadcast can only apply the delay estimates that it got when in the
autokey dance and cannot account for changes until the next autokey dance.

If accuracy is critical in this environment, don't use broadcast. At
least in client/server mode you get to measure the delay with each packet.

Danny