[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Apr 25 20:35:25 UTC 2008

>- I have to keep my nodes synchronised to real time, for several reason:
>they use NFS, they interact with the outside world.

I think your initial goal was synchronization to 10 microseconds.

Do you really need that for NFS?  (Do file times include the fractions
of a second?)

Most interaction with the outside world is via a network connection.
Is some box out there really going to be able to tell if your
clock is off by 10 microseconds?  (Hint: If so, keeping clocks
synchronized would be much easier.)

>- I can't have any clock step, because I have some application that assume
>there is no one. If clock steps occur, my applications will be screwed up.

It may be simpler to fix your application than to keep clocks
from going backwards.

What will happen if time does go backwards?  How are you going to
recover if something screws up and your time gets set ahead by an
hour, a day, or a year, and then runs for a while?