[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 11:49:25 UTC 2008

Hal Murray wrote:
>> Sorry it's actually difficult for me to precise this topic for
>> confidentiality reason of course and also because I'm an intern and thus
>> there for a short period. Hence I don't know exactly why myself. This is
>> just one of the requirement of my project.
>
> Keeping a handful of machines synchronized to within 10 microseconds
> might be possible.  It won't be easy.  It's unlikely to be the cheapest
> overall solution to some problem.
>
> I suggest you tell your boss that he has given you a hard to impossible
> problem.  You are not likely to get 10 uS by just poking a few magic
> parameters into your ntp.conf.  Your target is not a reasonable intern
> project.
>
> [That's just my opinion.  I could be way off.]

The OP might also ask his supervisor just what problem he is trying to
solve!  10 microseconds might be achievable but doing so would be
sufficiently expensive that the costs should be clearly understood by
all those involved.

Ten MILLISECONDS is easily achievable and is far better than most sites
need.