[ntp:questions] prefer keyword and server failover

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Apr 30 07:08:39 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> David L. Mills wrote:
>>
>> See the documention on the true option of the server command. Compare
>> with the prefer and noselect options.
>
> Where is it documented in 4.2.4p4.  It is in the code, but the document
> (clockopt.html) that documents the other server options doesn't contain
> the word "true".

It turns out that it is documented in confopt.html, so I withdraw the
suggestion that it is undocumented.

One of the problems with HTML over man documentation is that one has to
navigate the documentation structure to find the right file and it turns
out that there are two files that document "server".  I had to grep the
directory for \<true\>, in the end, which wasn't helped by the very long
lines in the HTML source.

Actually, although confopt would have been the most relevent page for
this thread, the description says its main intended use is for reference
clocks, but it is not included/duplicated on the clockopt page, which is
the page that one should be using for reference clocks (confopt doesn't
document any strictly reference clock only parameters, but does
duplicate some of the common ones).

If one is going to go the hypertext route, I think one needs to go to a
much more extreme level and have one file that gives a synopsis of every
configuration file command without any description of the options, and a
file for each option, hyperlinked from that option.  That way the two
server commands would be together and the text of the common options
would always be the same.

In this case I assumed that server would only be documented in one file,
so didn't look closely enough to discover that that file only covered
the server variant.  That was complicated further because the server
variant does fail to document a relevant option.

You would need both true and prefer in this case, and a suitably recent
version of ntpd.