[ntp:questions] A question

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Apr 30 18:00:22 UTC 2008

>I would like to connect to any server to receive a string where it is
>written the istant time (possibly hh.mm.ss.xxx ). I found several sites
>where I may read hh.mm.ss then downloading the page and reading it I could
>get the string hh.mm.ss but

I don't know of any servers that do that.

In the early Arpanet days, there was a RFC describing a time
service available via UDP and TCP.  It returned the date and time
as a string.  Seconds were good enough back then.

You can probably find code that does that and patch it to
return what you want.  That assumes you have a server you
can run it on.

If you are happy with binary results (rather than a string)
you could use NTP.  (Don't forget to consider time zones.)