[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Bill Unruh unruh at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 30 21:18:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Greg Dowd wrote:

> PTP default profile operation is 1 way sync transmissions from the
> grandmaster to all slaves (via multicast) with an implicit "occasional"
> delay request/response for ranging from each slave.  The work we are
> doing in the telecom space (through ITU and IETF) defines a new
> application profile for PTP which is unicast based and has a 1:1
> correspondence between sync and delay request/response.  It also allows
> higher sync and delay request rates.
>
> So, while NTP and PTP essentially have a like set of timestamps and
> fundamental assumptions, I wouldn't say they do the same thing.  The
> small LAN is where PTP default profile is optimized for operation.
> While everything from a single LAN segment to the big, hairy, scary
> Internet is the target for NTP (along with lousy oscillators).
>
> On a small LAN, with light traffic, it is likely all moot.
>
> I'm not sure we agree on the effectiveness of the clock servo in ntp.

We probably do.

> First, there is no protocol requirement to only use 8 taps, it could be

It is not 8 taps. The clock filter is a "smallest delay amongst the last 8
samples" filter, whic throws away about 85% of the samples, which I find a
profligate use of data.

> changed.  I've checked :-) IIRC, there are 20 taps in the ACTS reference
> clock driver.  However, since the network client filter is 8 entries
> deep, and the poll interval can climb to 1024 seconds, I wonder if you
> feel like the frequency stability of a pc is useful out at observation
> intervals in the 10k seconds range?  My guess would be that

I agree. This is what makes ntp so bad on most computers (ie much worse
response than optimal given the data collected) and so slow to respond to
changes.

> environmentals would stomp on those samples.  Also, wander can be
> introduced by the LRD characteristics of network traffic.

LRD?

> However, moving closer in, I still think the higher update rate has
> value.  If you start using higher quality oscillators and hardware
> timestamping, the dominant noise source becomes the delay variation in
> the network.  Since the remote clock can't average this (it's not
> uniform or Gaussian), it needs to use some intelligent filtering.
> Higher packet rates mean that there are more samples to pick from.

Sure, but one of the goals of ntp is to minimize the impact on the servers.

> Also, one thing a lot of these discussions miss is the natural tradeoff
> between trying to be the most accurate vs trying to be the most stable.

Of course. If you average over a month, you will be very stable. But
probably very inaccurate. If you try to respond to each and every
fluctuation, the opposite will occur. Somewhere in there is the optimum,
and that optimum depends on the exact character of the noise, both phase
and frequency. NTPs assumption that there is an alan optimum point, fixed
for all situations is a poor approximation, both because that point varies
greatly with the exact network connectivity and the frequency fluctuations
are not 1/f noise, but dominantly environmental, which has strong periods (
day night).

> These tradeoffs, as well as differences in noise processes, mean there
> is no one "correct" servo.   Having spent some time studying networks
> with multiple network load generators connected through and across
> network where sync is transferred (mostly for wireless backhaul), I've
> developed a healthy respect for many of the various sampling and
> filtering functions in ntp.
>

> Greg Dowd
> gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
> Symmetricom, Inc.
> www.symmetricom.com
> "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
> Einstein

And I think ntp is too simple.