[ntp:questions] NTPD concurrent clients limit

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Aug 1 07:42:49 UTC 2008

Phil wrote:
> The replies around here sure separate the professionals like David Mills and
> Steve Kostecke from the seemingly arrogant ones like Unruh.

They are all professionals.  They have different contributions.

Dave Mills knows a great deal about the development branch code, as he
wrote much of it, but is less aware of the state of the released code,
and even less so of third party implementations and competitors.  He
believe implicitly in the appropriateness of the mathematical parts,
which he designed.

Steve has more knowledge about released versions and probably
competitors, but probably just takes the mathematical parts on trust.

Unruh is still learning the details of the code, but has raised what I
consider to be valid challenges to some of the design decisions,
particularly with regard to whether the mathematical basis is valid for
NTP as used by the average IT manager or embedded product developer.

If you think Unruh is arrogant, you should try challenging the
justification for the mathematical approaches used.