[ntp:questions] Windows built-in SNTP/NTP clients

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 07:05:26 UTC 2008

Peter Laws wrote:
> Can someone post a list or point me to one, that shows which versions
> of MS-Windows have decent NTP clients?  I know that NT/2K/XP does not
> but what about W2k3, '2k8, etc?

Peter,

In addition to Ryan's information, you can run the "official" NTP on
Windows NT, 2000, XP and Vista, although it is not the "built-in" NTP:

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

This will allow Windows to act as both server and client.  I have been
using that version on Windows Vista, but not with completely satisfactory
results, showing high short-term jitter:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/gemini_ntp.html

Has anyone done tests on the native Vista NTP implementation?  WHat is the
performance like?  Does it respond to NTPQ commands?

Thanks,
David