[ntp:questions] UTC Time from NMEA receiver one second behind DCF?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Aug 12 20:22:28 UTC 2008

>I am using a Navilock NL-320U connected to a small Linux box running ntp
>4.2.4p4-44.1 that came with the openSuSE 11.0 distribution. This is
>supposed to supply a time service to the local network without the use of
>external network ntp servers purely from the received GPS signal.
>
>I know that using a USB connection is not optimal, but the achieved accuracy
>is fine for my needs.

>Last Saturday (2008-08-02) I noticed for the first time that the time off
>the GPS unit was one second behind the DCF time, which I monitor on a
>separate radio clock. A reboot of the system did not help. On Sunday
>(2008-08-03) everything was back to normal. I noticed the same effect again
>on Friday evening (2008-08-08) and through yesterday (2008-08-09), but
>everything seems fine today (2008-08-10).

[big snip]

>My question is, has anyone else observed this and how can I fix this?

I've seen similar quirks from GPS units using the SiRF chip set.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/leap-gps3.gif

It started about the time the leap second was announced.  (Otherwise,
they work, but not very well.  They have a 100 ms jitter/drift.)

It looks like a weekly pattern.  It will be interesting to see what happens
during the next week.