[ntp:questions] Windows built-in SNTP/NTP clients

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 03:12:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:21 AM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

> I just checked Vista (Home Premium) and the built-in NTP does not respond
> to NTPQ requests.  Does the one in Windows 2003 or 2008?  Can any
> implementation which fails to respond to NTPQ commands be called "decent"?

NTP mode 6 packets are an OPTIONAL part of the NTP specification in
RFC-1305, and RFC-1305 even goes so far as to suggest that mode 6
packets be used only when other management and monitoring tools are
unavailable. Microsoft provides other management tools (w32tm, group
policy, event viewer, etc.), although they are barely sufficient.

As far as I know, the reference implementation and its derivatives are
the *only* implementations supported by ntpq. Some of its functions
are even version-specific and not mentioned in any RFC, right?

So asking you question the other way is just as valid: "Can any
implementation which fails to respond to "w32tm" commands be called
"decent"? Sounds silly.

--
RPM