[ntp:questions] Windows built-in SNTP/NTP clients

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 06:30:05 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:21 AM, David J Taylor
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I just checked Vista (Home Premium) and the built-in NTP does not
>> respond to NTPQ requests.  Does the one in Windows 2003 or 2008?
>> Can any implementation which fails to respond to NTPQ commands be
>> called "decent"?
>>

> NTP mode 6 packets are an OPTIONAL part of the NTP specification in
> RFC-1305, and RFC-1305 even goes so far as to suggest that mode 6
> packets be used only when other management and monitoring tools are
> unavailable. Microsoft provides other management tools (w32tm, group
> policy, event viewer, etc.), although they are barely sufficient.
>
> As far as I know, the reference implementation and its derivatives are
> the *only* implementations supported by ntpq. Some of its functions
> are even version-specific and not mentioned in any RFC, right?
>
> So asking you question the other way is just as valid: "Can any
> implementation which fails to respond to "w32tm" commands be called
> "decent"? Sounds silly.

Thanks for your input, Ryan.  I'm really thinking of the management
environment, where you have a single monitor system checking on a host of
different clients.  I guess the "correct" approach there would be if all
the clients responded to SNMP requests, rather than using a proprietary
protocol.  For the moment, though, I would want an NTP client which could
be monitored by NTPQ (although only the offset is of routine interest to
me).

Cheers,
David