[ntp:questions] ntpd with asymetric keys

Grzegorz Daniluk lin_g at o2.pl
Wed Aug 13 07:27:19 UTC 2008

Hi again,
I discovered strange behavior when using ntpd with asymetric keys and
IFF scheme. I have server and client configured as below:

client:
        crypto pw 130 ident IFF
        enable auth
        keysdir /etc/ntp
        server 192.168.1.200 autokey minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 noselect

server:
        enable auth
        crypto pw 140 randfile /root/.rnd
        restrict 192.168.1.210 notrust
        keysdir /etc/ntp

After a few days working correctly I've noticed today something like
that in ntpq on the client:

     remote           refid               st  t  when poll reach
delay   offset     jitter
 192.168.1.200   .CRYP.          16 u  11h   16           0    0.000
0.000   0.000

The interesting thing is that after restarting ntpd on client everything
works correctly again. I didn't change any configuration of ntp or keys,
it was just working for a few days continuously.

Did anyone saw something like that before ?

Thank you,
best regards,
Grzegorz Daniluk