[ntp:questions] Can i control the NTP Sync?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Aug 13 07:18:50 UTC 2008

David J Taylor wrote:

> it to keep local time in just the same way as other systems.  If you have
> to intervene manually you are doing something wrong.  Windows, like many
> modern OSes, works in UTC internally.

Using UTC internally is, I think, only true of NT, and comes from its
VMS heritage, rather than from its Windows one.  I seem to remember that
Windows 3.x was not timezone aware, and I think that Windows 9.x only
has per system timezone information and works internally on local time.
  (Quite a few home users still use Windows 95 and some small businesses
probably still do so - it might also be in embedded systems used by
larger businesses.)

FAT and VFAT filesystems always use local time.  I'm not sure about NTFS.

Windows timezone handling is limited to a single pair of rules per
timezone, with one (or zero) changes each way between two offsets.  The
Olson package, used on most Linuxes and modern Unixes, can record all
historic and all future changes, even if they are not reducible to one,
simple, rule.

Whilst you can force, at least some, NT systems to treat the RTC as UTC,
most system administrators don't even know this.