[ntp:questions] Can i control the NTP Sync?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 12:22:22 UTC 2008

Sami al flaish wrote:
> Dear Experts,
> I am thinking of using the NTP services, but I have one problem which is
> When the time zone change from summer to winter or from winter to summer
> So currently we have control on the local time and we changed manually when the time zone change, because we dont change the local time on that machine even due the time zone changed if we have a running operation and we keep it this way until the ongoing job
> Finish. So the problem here if we have the NTP server sync to that machine the sync will force the local time to change, which will affect our operation.
>
> Any suggestion

NTP does NOT keep local time.  It keeps Universal Time Coordinated (UTC).

Shifts in local time due to summer/winter do not affect the current time
  in UTC or NTPD!  If your system is configured with the correct time
zone for your locality, and if your system has the proper data as to
WHEN the changes to and from daylight time occur, everything should work.