[ntp:questions] Windows built-in SNTP/NTP clients

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Aug 13 16:56:04 UTC 2008

David,

Neither does Windows implement the mode-6 protocol nor does it conform
to the basic protocol. See the reference implementation documentation
about Windows issues. Also see the alternative workaround in ntp_proto.c.

As the author of rfc1305 I say you misquote me. The mode-6 control and
monitoring protocol is an integral component of the specification; the
mode-7 protocol is intended as propietary. In any case the mode-6
protocol was defined and implmented well before SNMP.

An NTP MIB has been implemented by some manufacturers and another
proposed by the NTP working group, but neither is supported by the
reference implementation. Either MIB might be appropriate for management
purposes, but for complete monitoring and performance evalutation the
limitations of current SNMP clients make the mode-6 protocol necessary.

Dave