[ntp:questions] very confusing results though using pps and nmea

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 13 17:03:15 UTC 2008

nb at komeda-berlin.de (Nicola Berndt) writes:

> >> Now using the following ntp.conf I can see that things are working,
>but not as expected. I would expect the pps clock to take over, no
>matter what happens, since I understand it is either there or not and it
>can't be wrong. Instead my system randomly marks either of these a false
>ticker every now and then..
> >
> > Actually the pps CAN have noise on the line. I have found with my Garmin
> > 18LVM that sometimes the interrupt fires of 6 or 7 hits in a few
> > milliseconds,-- some sort of line noise coming in. Now, it is I admit
>a bit
> > of a kludge and I have not bothered to track down the problem-- bad
>solder
> > joint, TV interference,.....-- but it happens.
> > What is best if you can record say a days worth of interrupt timings
> > without haing the pps discipline your clock, and look at, or rather
>plot (
> > since looking at 86400 entries is liable to fry your brain) to see if you
> > are getting glitches-- noise tends to occur randomly so plotting
> > t_{i+1}-t_i over the day will show you if glitches have occured. If they
> > differ from 1 second according to your computer clock ( and you have left
> > your computer clock just rinning and not resetting it suddenly-- even ntp
> > running on the outside sources is fine since it shifts the time slowly)
> > then you have noise.

>Ok, I will, I am just not sure, how to do so. Here are some assumptions,
>please correct me, where I'm wrong:

>cat /proc/interrupt shows me /counts/ of different interrupts, so I
>assume,that is not what I am looking for. There is a IO-APIC-edge timer
>interrupt (0) and a IO-APIC edge serial interrupt (4). The timer
>interrupt grows constantly and the serial grows a couple of thousands

Uh, you have serious problems withe your PPS. It looks to me like it needs
to be buffered. It should grow by 1 every second, not thousands. It sounds
like there is extreme noise on your pps line which when it gets near
transition causes loads of interrupts. Not good. Find out why the pps
output is so so so noisy.

>every start of a second (looks like) and  If then stops until the next
>second. I assume that's the one and that the interrupts are fired, als
>long as the pps-signal is incoming.

No, the interrupt is fired ONCE per edge transition. And there should only
be ONE edge transition.

>Now I find cat /proc/irq/4/serial to reportI "Is a directory" and I find
>nothing in there, so I am a bit stuck, since I simply don't know what to
>record..

You need to write a little interrupt service routine to timestamp each
interrupt. But the info you gave already says something is seriously wrong.

> > Note that serial port nmea is liable to be out by up to 1/2 sec and
>to have
> > a lot ( 10s of msec) jitter on it, since the end of the string
>received by
> > a slow serial port ( eg at 4800Bd, it takes an nmea sentence of about 60
> > characters 1/8 of a second to be delivered and will have a jitter of few
> > characters in length-- or about 10ms jitter)

>I don't understand why you are mentioning this, maybe you got me wrong.
>I run the nmea gps over usb and the pps goes to the serial port. So
>there is no data exept for the pps on my serial line..

There is data on the usb line, which is a serial type line for which his
comments apply.