[ntp:questions] NTPD concurrent clients limit

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 13 22:47:21 UTC 2008

"Phil" <phil at xxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes:

>Unruh, you ask:

>"100,000? What are you doing?"
>For now, just say time. At present, numbers not even good guesstimates.

>"I'm glad you bought your own servers."
>I thought I might piss a bunch off if I didn't, but I need it accurate, gps
>based and dependable.

Yes, buy one or two or three gps receivers with pps and install them on say
three of your servers, just so you have fallover in case one of them bursts
into flame. Just buy a GArmin GPS18lvc which is cheap enough, and then wire
up a decent interface board.

Use those three as teh servers for your tribe of things.
They will be good to a few microseconds. YOur local lan will degrade that
to a few 10s of microseconds, but much better than one millisecond.

>"kod is on individual clients"
>Then I doubt anything to worry about, access per incident is restricted.

>"I do hope you are not hitting with each client once per second or
>something."
>We estimate most bandwidth will be single hits and from different ip's. If
>it should be repetitive, perhaps at "minute/s" interval and then limited as
>to total requests and duration before script times out. All the numbers
>still flexible, but everything will be optimized for least server loads and
>minimum bandwidth.

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about.