[ntp:questions] Time going backwards

John Bartas jbartas at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 13 03:02:09 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

I have some questions about when (if ever) NTP will set time backward.
I'll be using it on Embedded Linux for time stamping video frames.

I've found several mentions in RFC 1305 that this should not happen, and
also in section "Step Phase Adjustments" mention that it can jump
backwards.

Is there a simple description anywhere if what variables affect this,
and how? I'd like to know when it's going to jump backwards on Linux -
what the rules are and what control I have over it.

Any help would be appreciated.

-JB-
.