[ntp:questions] bitsy.mit.edu retired?

Gushi google at gushi.org
Fri Aug 15 14:43:37 UTC 2008

On Aug 14, 7:29 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> Gushi wrote:
> > Hey all,
>
> > I've frequently used the venerable old standby "bitsy.mit.edu" as an
> > NTP server -- it had an easy to remember name, and was more "neutral"
> > than time.windows.com or something similar.  I also recall that it had
> > a fairly open access policy, and over time I had committed the IP
> > address (18.72.0.3) to memory.
>
> > At the current time (no pun intended) I'm unable to get any NTP data
> > from it, and it's not on any of the lists -- has it been retired or
> > shuffled off?  Or am I just crazy?
>
> > -Dan Mahoney
>
> The fact that it's not on any of the lists suggests that it's not a
> public server!  The fact that you can't get any response to an NTP query
> suggests that it's not running ntpd.

Thanks for the tier-one diagnostic there.

My hope was more to hear from people who had "gotten a memo" that I
had missed about its retirement, or possibly even hear from an MIT
admin who might have been able to answer.  I had previously (for about
ten years) gotten valid ntp responses from that server.  I can do a
google search and find dozens of references to it, being used publicly
and in many sample ntp.conf files.  On top of that, I recall in the
past looking it up and finding it on an "official" servers list.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=bitsy.mit.edu+ntp

> Can you ping it?  It might not be running at all!

It's pingable.

-Dan