[ntp:questions] bitsy.mit.edu retired?

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Fri Aug 15 21:30:36 UTC 2008

In article <i9CdnaBZM8qTeTjVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

>Bitsy may have found a place in the Computer History Museum.  Or maybe a
>place in a dumpster.

In point of fact, bitsy is still alive and well; it's one of the
authoritative name servers for MIT.EDU.  I'm sure its administrators
have followed the common practice of not running disparate services on
a single machine.  (There are probably more people in the world who
know that the three campus name servers are bitsy, strawb, and w20ns,
than know that bitsy was once an NTP server.)

There are numerous public and semi-public NTP servers at MIT.  Bitsy
is no longer one of them.

I would not be shocked to be told that bitsy was once Jeff Schiller's
personal workstation (presumably back in the RT/VAXstation era).

-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman at csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry