[ntp:questions] peers with high offset on Intel Quad Core running Windows 2003

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 20 15:09:20 UTC 2008

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>Jimmy ntp wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   I'm consistently seeing offsets between +- 6 ms on my Windows servers.

>6ms is not a high offset.  In particular, it is rather lower than you
>would expect with w32time, and better than the resolution with which
>ordinary Windows applications can obtain the time from Windows.  (Also
>offset is not the same as clock error, and, in the stable state, is
>considerably larger than that).

>> Software:
>> * Windows 2003
>> * ntp-4.2.0a

>That's quite old.  I'm not sure that it has all the hacks to improve
>performance on Windows.
>>
>>  Here is ntp.conf:
>> server 192.168.10.5 burst iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6

>These minpolls and maxpolls will compromise the ability to smooth over
>offset variations.  Why are you not using the recommended ones?

They will decrease the offset variations, and increase the frequency
variations. That may be good or bad depending on the situation your
computers find themselves in. It is also bad from the point of view of
network and server congestion, but if that is your own server, that does
not matter. If it is a public server, it does matter.