[ntp:questions] peers with high offset on Intel Quad Core running Windows 2003

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Aug 21 07:25:59 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
> David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:
>
>> These minpolls and maxpolls will compromise the ability to smooth over
>> offset variations.  Why are you not using the recommended ones?
>
> They will decrease the offset variations, and increase the frequency
> variations. That may be good or bad depending on the situation your

What I meant was that, in the presence of short term variation in
measured time from the servers, it would increase the error relative to
true time, as it would end up tracking the perturbations in the
measurement, rather than the underlying time.

In particular, if you are getting large offsets because the platform
makes it difficult to measure the time accurately, a low maxpoll will
result in the system time wandering badly, but a higher value may allow
the measurement noise to be averaged out.