[ntp:questions] ntp compliant

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Aug 21 07:44:00 UTC 2008

91change k wrote:
> What exactly ntp compliant means ? . If i have only ntpdate , can i say i am
> ntp compliant ..or i have to run both server and client ?

That's really a question for your contract lawyers.  We are better at
answering whether a sufficiently well described system will meet
specified technical criteria.

However, I would suggest that ntpdate was only SNTP compliant, not
because it doesn't support acting as a server, but because it doesn't
implement  the client protocol and client internal processing fully.

Generally, we would say that there are very few real life cases were
there are significant obstacles to installing ntpd, but ntpdate could be
used.