[ntp:questions] peers with high offset on Intel Quad Core running Windows 2003

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Aug 21 22:09:00 UTC 2008

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> This is not quite correct. Even older versions of the NTP port for Windows
> have tried to interpolate the timer ticks using the performance counter.

I *was* aware of that, but that doesn't change the fact that ordinary
applications only see the time updating on a tick; only ntpd benefits
from the interpolation.  On modern Unices, all applications get high
resolution clock readings.

Also, I believe that the zero point of the interpolation is rather
sensitive to scheduling delays on loaded systems.