[ntp:questions] Very large offset and jitter values after reboot

Nicola Berndt nb at komeda-berlin.de
Mon Aug 25 08:57:42 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:
> Nicola Berndt wrote:
>> Richard B. Gilbert schrieb:

>>> 1.  Don't reboot!  My Windows, Linux, Solaris, and OpenVMS systems will
>>> all run until the power goes off for longer than the run time of my UPS.
>>>
>>> 2.  Start ntpd with the "-g" switch.  The -g switch tells it to get and
>>> set the correct time.  Following startup, ntpd will discipline the clock
>>> in the usual way.  It may take a relatively long time, around thirty
>>> minutes, to settle into really tight synchronization.

>> 1, As I wrote already, the device has to work outdoors, where there is
>> no unlimited power-source, so I have to reboot. Also I think, a computer
>> that cannorttake a reboot has a problem wich needs to be adressed. Just
>> my opinion, though..
>>
> I'd say that a computer that needs to be rebooted other than following a
>   power failure or a hardware failure, has something wrong with its
> hardware or operating system.  Once upon a time, Windows needed regular
> reboots but this was largely cured by Windows 2000.  Windows XP can run
> for months between reboots.

I actually said "a computer that /cannot take a reboot/". You are
talking a computer that needs rebooting ... Think of a laptop for
instance, that runs on batteries. It simply cannot run forever.

>> 2, I forgot to mention that I already do so, still takes too long to
>> settle. I also don't understand what is taking so long, since - jitter
>> or not - the nmea time is precise enough to just quickly set the time at
>> startup and then let things go their way. Can someone explain that to me?
>>

> I don't believe you said what kind of GPS receiver you were using.  It
> sounds as if your are using a receiver designed for navigation rather
> than timing.  Timing receivers usually use a binary protocol rather than
> NMEA.  Timing recievers also typically have a Pulse Per Second (PPS)
> output which provides a very precise indication of the "top of the second".

I am using a u-blox LEA-4H module, wich can do binary and text modes and
provides a pps signal on a separate line. The pps part gives me trouble
at the moment though (noise) and I will either change the module or fix
the problems soon. Not an option for right now, though.

> Even on a warm start with a good value in the drift file, ntpd can take
> up to thirty minutes to pull in to tight synchronization.  If you are
> only looking for the seconds you may never notice the time required to
> synchronize within, say, 100 microseconds.
>
> If you are cold starting ntpd, delete the drift file before starting!
> No drift file is better than one with an incorrect value for drift.

Why would I have an incorrect value in the drift file? Might that cause
my offset? As I understood it, the driftfile is being written to over a
longer period of time and is used to correct a general drift of the
clock. This might vary under different temperatures maybe, but should be
rather stable besides, no?

> Last but not least, ntpd uses some complex algorithms to discipline the
> clock.
> It's NOT just a set the time and forget it.  The typical computer clock
> is NOT designed for high accuracy; left to itself it might be off by as
> much as 500 PPM or 43 seconds per day.  Ntpd makes the clock tick at
> intervals as close as possible to one tick per second.

Sure, but /initially/ set the clock quickly and then go on with all the
ntp-goodies for timekeeping should be in it. That is what I am looking
for. Being as fast as possible as precise as possible and getting better
from there on.

> If you understand such things as phase locked loops (I don't) you'll
> find the math in RFC-1305.

Regards,
../nico berndt