[ntp:questions] Linux NTP Kernel unsync flag remains long after NTP&Kernel have PPL sync

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Aug 27 15:21:52 UTC 2008

David,

The NTP development version on the web (p125) does not set the
STA_UNSYNC bit anywhere. A grep for this bit shows only legacy means for
ntpdc to clear it. While the production version on the web is dated one
day before the development version, its ntp_loopfilter.c file is dated
February 2007 and does set it.

Unfortunately, the productino version and stable version are on two
different tracks and with different heritage of individual modules. I
would hope that a version of the release date would have been
synchronized to the development version of that date, but this is not
the case. Accordingly, you can't believe anytnhing I say or can I fix
anything you report, unless you are using a relatively recent
development version. This holds true for all presumed features, bugs and
documentation.

As some of you know, I have been working full time since June 2007
cleaning up the code, aligning to the NTPv4 specification, adding new
features and rewriting much of the web documentation. The core protocol
modules in the production version date from late 2006 and early 2007, so
most of the work reported to this list and the hackers list is not in
the production version. So, if you suspect I have done something evil
and are using the production version, I can't help you.

Dave