[ntp:questions] Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers

WANG Cong xiyou.wangcong at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:28:09 UTC 2008

On Aug 28, 11:12 a.m, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
wrote:
> Hello WANG Cong,
>
> WANG Cong wrote:
> > Hello, experts!
>
> > Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> > from other servers?
>
> Just don't put any server lines into your ntp.conf file ;-)

That's what I did. But it can't work, if there's no server lines, I
_always_ got:

# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
found

(192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)

And if I didn't remove the server lines, I can easily run the above
command
successfully. :-)

Any ideas?

> If you want some upstream servers to be polled but don't want to synchronize
> to them you can simply append the noselect keyword to the entries, e.g.
>
> server pool.ntp.org noselect

Thanks, I just need not to synchronize. :)