[ntp:questions] Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 11:49:42 UTC 2008

WANG Cong wrote:
> Hello, experts!
>
> Is there any way to configure my NTP server *not* to synchronize time
> from other servers?
> I have read the man pages about ntpd and googled a lot, but I didn't
> find any good solution.
>
> Any comments are welcome! Thanks!

What problem are you trying to solve?

You can equip your system with a "hardware reference clock"; e.g. a GPS
Timing Receiver, or an atomic clock and you will not need any external
server(s).

If you don't really care what time it is and simply want all your
systems to have the SAME time, I'd suggest something like rdate.