[ntp:questions] Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers

WANG Cong xiyou.wangcong at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:35:41 UTC 2008

On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, "Maarten Wiltink" <maar... at kittensandcats.net>
wrote:
> "WANG Cong" <xiyou.wangc... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8d3c2902-93a5-44fc-9e66-0356538955c0 at t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
> > [...] if there's no server lines, I _always_ got:
>
> > # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
> > 28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
> > found
>
> > (192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)
>
> It seems that without servers, you have no synchronisation sources left.
> (Which is probably correct.) So you fake one.
>
> server 127.127.1.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14

Cool! It works! 8-)
But there's a little problem, when I changed my ntp.conf, I have to
wait
for several minutes until it works well, if not, I got:

192.168.90.41: Server dropped: strata too high

I googled a bit, and someone said this is due to the time of the
server is far from correct, but it is not. See below:

# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
28 Aug 14:23:38 ntpdate[18923]: adjust time server 194.117.9.136
offset -0.174164 sec
# LC_ALL=en_US-UTF8 date
Thu Aug 28 14:23:42 WEST 2008

At the same time, I ran this on the server:
> date
Thu Aug 28 14:23:47 BST 2008

Now:
# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u 192.168.90.41
28 Aug 14:24:02 ntpdate[18942]: no server suitable for synchronization
found

So the time on the server was nearly correct. Right?

Any idea to solve this?

> These two lines will cause your server to believe its own, free-running,
> clock and consider itself synchronised and serve time, while indicating
> that the time served is of quite atrocious quality.
>
> Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from anyone?

Yes, because we want:

1. Configure the time of the server manually, no matter how wrong it
is. :)
So in this situation, we don't want synchronization, but still need to
provide
the time service to other PCs.

2. Synchronize the time from other servers and provide service. This
is
very easy and works well.

Thanks.