[ntp:questions] offset with ntpdate and ntpq ?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Aug 28 22:55:09 UTC 2008

Stavros Milos wrote:

> I have some questions regarding value offset with ntpq and ntpdate, these
> values are different or not?
> whether the value of the offset with ntpq is the difference local - peer?

The offset is the difference between the local time and an estimate
based on the weighted average of the "best of the last 8" measurements
made on the set of servers and peers chosen for disciplining the clock.

The local time is a smoothed estimate of the true time.  The offset is
an unsmoothed estimate of the time on the other servers.  Normally the
local time is a better estimate of true time, even if the actual time on
the servers is perfect.

Why are so many questions turning on the meaning of "Offset", in NTP
jargon, today?