[ntp:questions] Linux NTP Kernel unsync flag remains long after NTP&Kernel have PPL sync

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Aug 29 18:08:09 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-28, David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> ntpq -c"rv 0 offset" will tell you the current offset of your ntpd.
>
> Careful. That is "Offset", not the common sense meaning of offset,
> which might be put something like: the true error between the local
> clock and true time.

Let's see ... there's the offsets shown with:

ntpq -c"rv 0 offset"

ntpq -p

ntpdc -c kern | grep offset

Take your pick ...

Running all of those commands together against one of my systems
produces the following (I've combined the two ntpq invocations):

$ ntpq -pc"rv 0 offset" edge_box  | awk '/offset=/ { print }; \
/^*/ { print $1 " " $9}'; ntpdc -c kern edge_box | grep offset
offset=0.421
*ntp.cox.net 0.264
pll offset:           0.000407 s

--