[ntp:questions] offset with ntpdate and ntpq ?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Aug 29 17:51:49 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-29, Stavros Milos <root78 at gazeta.pl> wrote:

> I am administrating large network (Intranet). I need to control time
> of several internal NTP servers, each located in different place/town.
>
> I would like to "read" a time of each remote NTP server and compare
> it to my local referential timeserver, just to examine if offset of
> each remote NTP server is not too high. So, the purpose is not to
> synchronize time to remote NTP servers, but to trace their time to
> keep a rule:
>
>    "remote NTP server time" - "my referential NTP server time" < 0.5s

0.5 sec is 500 milliseconds. ntpd should have no problem keeping your
remote servers within that offset.

One way to do this is add all of your remote NTP servers to your
reference NTP server as 'noselect' servers. e.g.:

	server remote_NTP_server noselect

You will need one of those lines for each of your remote NTP servers.

Then you will be able to use the ntpq peers billboard ('ntpq -p') to
view all the offsets between your remote NTP servers and your reference
NTP server.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>